Monday, April 24, 2017

Meredith's Monday Musings: Donating Hair




Hey All!

Happy Monday! How's everyone day going? Mine is great! I got my edits from my editor last week, so I've been working really hard to make the changes that she suggested. I'm hoping to send them back to her sometime this week, so I can have my book published soon.

Today's topic for Meredith's Monday Musing is: Donating Hair!

About five years ago, I read an article about a little girl who had cancer. She had been very depressed because as a result of the chemotherapy she took to get better, it made her lose her hair. She cried because she didn't look like other girls her age. This story broke my heart. This poor child was already suffering so much because she was being poked and proded by doctors to try and heal her cancer, she shouldn't have had to cry because she had lost her hair.

After reading that news clip, I decided to donate my hair! I donated twelve inches and sent it to Locks of Love. It was a transition for me to go from having super long hair to pretty short hair (in my book), but I knew it was totally worth it. If I could help just one person with my donation, it totally made up for any transition that I had to go through.



I got so much happiness about donating my twelve inches of hair, two years later I decided to donate another twelve inches of my hair to the charity Locks of Love again. This time, it was easier for me to do because I knew what to expect with the going from super long hair to short hair. Again, I knew any annoyance I was having of getting use to short hair was worth it, because I was helping someone who needed it.

It's two years later and I'm about ready to donate my hair again. I'm super excited because I'm getting annoyed at having to take care of this beast I call a head of hair. Washing it takes like a good six minutes. I use more shampoo and conditioner because I have more hair right now. Don't get me started on having to brush it. Every time I get out of the shower, I always wish that I could have someone else brush my hair for me. I do not have the patience to be gentle and take my time to get all the knots out.

I was preparing to donate my hair to Locks of Love again when a good friend of mine told me that they made people pay for the wigs that my donated hair provides. When I heard that, I couldn't believe it! I had always been under the impression that this charity gave the wigs away for free, since they were receiving the hair for free. I did my research and turns out I was wrong. They do indeed charge clients for their wigs. That broke my heart! I don't understand how a company to do this. There are so many children and adults out there who have to suffer with losing their hair due to cancer. The least a charity could do would be to give wigs away for free to help these people suffer, even a little bit less.



After finding out this information, I've decided to donate my hair to a different charity. I have it down to two. One charity is named: Wigs for Kids. All of the hair donations in this charity go to children and they receive their wigs for free. The second charity is named: Pantene Beautiful Lengths. All of the hair donations in this charity go to women and they receive their wigs for free. I haven't decided which charity I'll donate my hair to. I'm thinking of maybe waiting until my hair is sixteen inches then cutting the sixteen inches off and donating eight inches to each charity, but I'm not sure.

Donating my hair is something that is so easy to do and is a great way to help someone in need. I highly encourage everyone to do this, if they can. It takes so little for us to help those in need. Who knows, we might need wigs someday. It's just something for y'all to consider.

That's all I have for today. I hope everyone has a fantastic Monday! :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment