Monday, May 15, 2017

Meredith's Monday Musings: Supporting One Another






Hi Everyone!

Happy Monday! How's everyone day going so far? Mine is going pretty well. I'm getting excited that summer is going to be here soon. I can't wait to lay out on a beach somewhere and soak up the sun! I'll have to make sure to remember to apply plenty of sun screen though. I burn really fast, if I don't! Do any of you have your summer plans yet?

Today's topic for Meredith's Monday Musing is: Supporting one another!

There have been several times since I've become an author that other authors have complimented me about how much I share and support my fellow authors. When I get told this, I obviously say thank you, but it also confuses me. Why are people saying thank you all because I shared posts about their and other authors books?



I am a firm believer that everyone should help everyone else out. As authors, we can take that to mean so many different things. For some, helping out a fellow author is as simple as tweeting about that person's new release, for others, it can mean helping an author develop their plot. Those are just two examples, there are SOOO many ways that authors can help each other out. I think that every author should take the chance to help out another author because they never know when they themselves might need help. Also, you helping and supporting a fellow author might be what keeps them writing. You never know, so I'd just go ahead and do it.

I'm very grateful that I am a part of a community that for the most part, we all support one another. I can't tell you how many times I've gone to my online friends and asked for them to help me out with a part of my plot that I just couldn't figure out or having another author cheer me on when I get a bad review. It really makes my heart happy to see and receive the help from this amazing community. I think it's a safe bet to say that we all feel this way when our online friends cheer us on or provide a piece of advice on how to better our stories.

So, when I get complimented on how much I support others, it makes me confused. For one, I see about 95% of my fellow authors supporting other authors, which is awesome! So, it's not like I'm the only one doing this here. Two, it doesn't take anything away from my stories to help out another author. As I always joke, there are enough readers in the Amazon sea to buy each of our books.



Unfortunately, there are a few authors that don't believe in supporting other authors. This breaks my heart. Like I wrote in the last paragraph, there really are enough readers in the Amazon sea to buy each of our books. So, it isn't like if a fellow author supports me when I have a new release that they'd be losing anything with their current release. I've come to the conclusion that with these individuals, it's best to just continue to share their stories and hope that they will one day return the kindness.

I hope that the authors who do read this post, smile and nod their head. They know how awesome of a community we're apart of and it's all thanks to them and our readers (can't forget them) for continuing to share and encourage authors to continue writing. I do hope that everyone continues to support each other. Being an author is hard and when we stick together and help each other out, that's what makes the community we're in, such a positive one!

That's all I have for now. I hope that everyone has an awesome Monday!



2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I get confused too, Meredith. Yes, manners indicate we should give a simple "thank you" when someone does share something we've posted, but I've had the experience of people being amazed at the amount I share.

    The community is such a thing though; I actually have some comments in the dedication to my second Vala's Story book about "writing in community" because that is such an important thing for many of us. I think of writers new to DD, for instance, asking the number of spanks fro something, or someone asking for BRs. Only once have I actually broken on a BR relationship with someone who couldn't manage to warn me about segments of her novel that had rape flash backs in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I advise you to read information from https://vpn-lab.com/tunnelbear-review/ if you want to know more about TunnelBear. It's really useful review

    ReplyDelete