Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Maddie Taylor is on My Blog Today to Talk about Her Latest Book, Jackson's Justice!



Hi Everyone! Today I have the amazing author, Maddie Taylor on my blog to talk about her latest #1 Amazon Ranking book, Jackson's Justice!! Let's get started, shall we...
 
How much research had to go in to writing a historical romance?

MT: Quite a bit, but fortunately, I did most of it during book one and saved my research and links, phew! These stories are set during the industrial revolution so I needed to know what kind of plumbing they had, did they have toilet paper, telephones, batteries, even mayonnaise. For the pizza scene I had to research if they had mozzarella cheese in 1878… nope! Exclusive to Europe at the time it wasn’t introduced to North America by Italian immigrants in New York at the turn of the 20th century and in Canada around 1949. So, like Janelle, I had to improvise. I wear etymology online out and research language, expressions, dialect and technology.

Wow! That sounds like a lot of work!! What made you chose the year 1878 to write your story in?

MT: Seriously? I wanted indoor plumbing and reasonable women’s skirts. I didn’t want to have to deal with an outhouse and an era before toilet paper. I also didn’t want my hero to have to deal with the dreaded hoop skirts, just the birdcages Heath called them, aka bustles. LOL Not to mention it is a very romantic era where men were men and they took care of their woman. I did choose progressive Wyoming where women had the right to vote in 1878. They were the 1st state to award them that right, by the way.



Okay okay, I can see why you chose 1878 now. I must admit, I was not a fan of Heath Jackson at the start of this book. I thought that he was being SO stupid denying his feelings for Jenny. Why did you write him that way? It was torture for me to keep reading him being a jackass and hurting Jenny's feelings.

MT: You have to remember that Heath was anti-marriage and that Jenny was 11 years younger and a friend of the family. Everything about Jenny was screaming matrimony and felt like a noose tightening around his neck. But you grew to love him, without any spoilers, that’s all I’m saying about that.

Okay, you have me there. Once he pulled his head out of his behind, Heath wasn't too bad of a guy. What inspired you to write Jenny how you did? She was such a brave, strong girl who had such a horrible situation thrust upon her.

MT: Life was hard back then and I love a story with angst. If I don’t make you both laugh and cry, I have not done my job.

Well then, you successfully did your job. You grabbed a hold of my heart when I started this book and didn't let go until I finished the last page. I saw in one of your recent blog posts that it took you a year to write Jackson's Justice. That sounds crazy to me! For most of my stories, I like to finish them once I start. How did you manage to keep writing this story without giving up?

MT: I'd work on it for a few weeks, okay, maybe days, and then take a break because I wasn't in the western mood. I’d come back later and write a bit more, then take another break and so on. I didn't start working on it seriously until after Lanie came out about Nov 1. When I put my mind to it, I had it written and submitted in about a month. Then it was about 6 weeks for publishing, which is slower than usual, but the holidays got in the way, I think.



Marshal and Heath Jackson have found their special ladies, will Luke be finding his special lady any time soon?

MT: Oh, yes! I already have the plot outline. So I promise it won’t be another year. 

Thank you! I hate having to wait for authors to write books. When you aren't writing, what does the typical day in the life of Maddie Taylor look like?

MT: Working the day job… Boring, I know, and here everyone thinks us authors have such glamorous lives. The day job sucks 40+ hours of life out of me every week, so in the evenings I spend time with my hubby, weekends are for family (and football, is it over yet?) and in between times I’m writing or blogging or doing the social media thing. No, I don’t sleep… ever. 3-4 hours/night is good for me.

You only get 3-4 hours of sleep at night?! *Gasp!* How do you stay awake? If I don't get at least seven hours, I'm dozing off all day.

Now my favorite game to play with authors...Five Question Game
What is your idea of a perfect day?

Beach, sun, sand, ocean, a cooler of lemon drops, my kindle and my husband. It begins at sunrise and ends with moonlit stroll on the beach with my man, hand in hand while the waves lick at our toes. <sigh>.



You and those lemon drops. ;-) Awww, that does sound like a really nice day!What is your favorite season and why?

Um… see answer above. Summer, definitely when I practically live in the pool.

If you could visit any place in the world, where would it be and why?

Ireland. The land of my maternal grandmother, bless her heart.

I would love to visit Ireland too. My relatives came from there too and from the pictures I've seen, it looks beautiful. If you could star in any T.V show, what would it be and why?

Easy! Justified opposite Raylan Givens as his love interest, of course. It would be a paying job, so I’d have to say to my hubby, “Sorry honey, it’s in the script on page 42 for me to kiss Raylan with tongue so I gotta do it.”



*Giggle* I would love to see how Mr. Taylor would react to you telling him that. Who do you like better, Velma or Daphne from Scooby Doo and why?

If I have to choose, I’d say Velma. Brains are sexy, however, since were playing let’s pretend, I’d put Velma’s brain into Daphne’s body and become Dalma, or Vephne and have the best of both worlds.

Hmmm...that's a good idea. I never thought about it!



Now, can you please share a sexy snippet from Jackson's Justice.  


With a sidelong look, he eyed the pretty young woman that had been on his mind so much lately. She was the embodiment of temptation, from the jaunty little hat perched atop her head, sitting slightly askew following their run-in, to the pointy tips of her impractical boots. A man would have to be made of stone not to be affected by her beauty, not the least of it her curvy hips or full rounded breasts. He shuddered every time he thought of her walking the streets alone and coming across one of the rowdy men who had come to town looking for a gal to keep him company.

As much as she was beautiful, she was naïve and reckless. That had become obvious tonight. She needed someone to keep her safe, to lay down the law and hold her feet to the fire if she didn’t follow the rules. If her family wasn’t going to see to her guidance and protection, she needed a man who would. Someone to give her what his pa called good old-fashioned Jackson justice in the form of a firm hand, or some other equally effective implement, applied to her misbehaving behind.
The thought of any of the beaus he’d seen lining up for a dance with her being able to meet that need was laughable. If he was honest, the thought of her as wife to any of them burned like hellfire in his gut. She needed a strong man, someone she couldn’t easily wrap around her dainty little finger and who wouldn’t break like a dry twig at the flutter of her long silky lashes or a pretty pout from her very kissable lips. She needed someone exactly like him.

Dammit.

Jackson's Justice Blurb 



Twenty-year-old Jenny Harper has been in love with Heath Jackson since the day she saw him leap from a galloping horse to save an old woman when she was eleven years old. Over the years, Jenny has watched the women swarm around Heath, but she has her heart set on him and she is not one to give up easily. One way or another, she will show Heath she is a grown woman, ready for a husband, not the child he remembers tagging along after his younger brother.

Unfortunately for Jenny, ever since he was left at the altar by a foolish girl who ran off to marry a wealthy old man, Heath Jackson has sworn off marriage, preferring instead the company of widows and saloon girls. And in any case, though he has secretly lusted after her for years, as far as Heath is concerned Jenny is too young, too much like family, and too eager to wed.

But when tragedy strikes, putting more on Jenny’s shoulders than she can bear, her only hope of saving her family home lies in marrying quickly. Can Heath sit back while other men vie for her affections? Can he bear to watch in silence as she chooses a weakling when she desperately needs a strong man like him, one who will keep her safe and give her the sound discipline she needs when her impulsive ways place her in danger? Or will he stand up and claim what should be his, even if it means risking his heart again?

Publisher’s Note: Jackson’s Justice is a largely stand-alone sequel to Marshal’s Law. It is a full-length erotic romance novel that contains sexual scenes and spankings, including domestic discipline in a historical setting. If such material offends you, please don’t buy this book.

If that snippet and blurb don't have you wanting to buy this book...I don't know what will. Here are the current buy links for Jackson's Justice.







Author's Bio



An author of erotic romance, Maddie is a lifelong reader who became a romance junkie as a teen with her first romance novel, The Wolf and the Dove by Kathleen Woodiwiss. From then on, she was hooked, and gobbled up everything she could get her hands on, whether contemporary, historical, paranormal or sci-fi. If there was romance to be found between a strong alpha male, and a sassy, adventurous and oftimes defiant yet loving woman, Maddie was all over it. As an author, she stays true to those themes writing steamy erotic romance, with a side of kink, and adding elements of intrigue, danger and suspense to her plots. 

Maddie started writing as a hobby. Her stories stayed private while she raised a family and worked full time as a registered nurse. It wasn't until 2012 that she decided to take the plunge and submit her first book for publication: Captain My Captain. She went on to publish eleven novels the first year.

She's still juggling writing with her day job. You'll find her working at her laptop into the wee hours of the morning, or scribbling plot ideas into the notebook she always keeps handy, and working out the details of a scene while floating around in her pool with a lemon drop in hand. Don't be surprised if you see her pulling over on the side of the road searching frantically for pen and paper in order to capture an idea for a scene that popped into her mind, because as Maddie says, her best ideas always come when her hands are full or if there isn't a pen in a five-mile radius.

Want to contact the fabulous Maddie Taylor? Here are some links to some of her pages!
Facebook
Facebook Author Page
Twitter
Amazon Author Page










Maddie, I'd like to say thank you for stopping by today. It was a lot of fun to have you and I can't wait to see what you have coming out next!!

Thank you! 
 






2 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting me today, Meredith. I really enjoyed your interview questions and having the shoe on the other foot for a change

    ReplyDelete