Monday, July 4, 2016

Meredith's Monday Musing: Background Noise, While Writing!

Hello Everyone!

Happy Fourth of July!! What are y'all doing today to celebrate? I'm going to sleep in, write a bunch, since it's my day off, and then watch the fireworks in the night sky, as I eat a juicy piece of watermelon. Yum!!

My topic for today is about background noise, while writing.

Each author will tell you something different when it comes to this topic. Some authors need it to be completely silent while they write, others can write in a crowded train station. Personally, I don't know how an author could do that. If I were in a crowded train station, I would want to people watch and look at the architecture of the station.



For me personally, when I write, I don't mind a little background noise. Amazon Prime has this cool feature where a viewer can minimize the screen, so it's a little square. I'll generally put a show on that I've seen before like Seinfeld, SpongeBob SquarePants, etc and have that as background noise as I write my first draft.

If I get to a really emotional scene, I'll generally pause the show so I can focus. Otherwise, I enjoy some background noise. It keeps me focused and when I need a break, I can glance up at the little box in the corner of my screen and watch a few minutes of the program and then get back to writing.

When it comes to editing, I need it to be silent. Obviously, I'm re-reading my story and I need to focus, so I can catch any plot holes or repetitive words.



What do you guys think? If you're an author or a reader, can you stand background noise when you write and/or read?

I hope that everyone has a safe and happy holiday!



No comments:

Post a Comment